Vogue 8728 – a Fantasy Picnic Frock

Posted on

I’ve done it again- I’ve sewn for my fantasy life, not my actual. Do I live the life of picnics and steamy encounters? No. Most of my steamy encounters involve something a dog did on my poor rug. But I like to sew like Tennessee  Williams is going to document the events to follow. So if you see me with a glassy look, I’m attending the picnic in my mind and I’m having a fabulous time  eating much potato salad while my beaus fan the gnats away.

In my internal picnic I see Vogue 8728. It  is so popular- all the Sewin’ Sect that I admire has it in multiple versions, I wanted one too. Check out this one! I love Andrea’s work.

Look at this hipless twig! Surely I’ll look the same in it, right? I swear these model drawings are distorted or something- surely they cannot have internal organs and be that slender?!

I don’t love it, it did make my fitting consultant (husband of the head cocked to the side, ‘will it always do that thing in the back?’) confused.Once he said it, it was all i could see. The back neckline is doing this hovercraft thing- totally ruining my posing- I could see it and hear the Jaws theme- I kid you not. Shh Liesl! It’s coming to get us!I still am not quite sure what it’s secretly doing behind me, but I wish it would put down the deflector shield.  The sign should say ‘My Fair Liesl’ of course. We shall speak to the management immediately. I want to like this- for a Vogue, this was really easy- the waist attachment seemed a little awkward- iron seam allowance under, then stitch to the gathered upper bodice all in one move- um, no, I skipped that little adventure and did it the way it felt right, then finished the edge. ain’t I reckless?I’ve seen this in a few woven makes, so I pressed on with my giddy dachshund seersucka plans and it worked well except that I just think that the bias neckband is a little wide for my taste. I still may go back and narrow it down- it feels too noticeable in the back. I also skipped the shoulder pads- which I was looking forward to- I like a little Joan Crawford shoulder pad action. I like to greet people with a nice shoulder thrust. But the neck is so wide that they were really going to sit so far off my shoulders that they would have been little diving boards for visiting pigeons.  A look I can’t get enough of as I’m sure you cannot either.

“Hey! Excuse me! Have you a tailoring guide in there? ‘ It really didn’t sit so well without a belt- so much seersucka needed a bit of a break- so did we- this was a tiring adventure downtown- being chased by an angry neckline.

Somebody better throw me and the Liesl a stinkin’ picnic!

photo credits: meadhawg, google images

45 thoughts on “Vogue 8728 – a Fantasy Picnic Frock

Sandy said:
    May 6, 2012 at 10:30 pm

Your dress looks great! I have the same problem with necklines. Drives me crazy.

May 6, 2012 at 10:55 pm

Thank you!

Jess said:
        May 16, 2012 at 9:26 pm

Oh man, my last two dresses have had messed up upper back necklines, too. Really pissed me off, too! I feel your pain. I’ve been sewing for over 15 years and now this starts to happen…

Jinx Marlowe said:
    May 6, 2012 at 10:35 pm

Slap me upside the head, but I don’t think it’s your best look. And aren’t buds supposed to be honest — even if we’re online only? The color is fabulous on you, though, and as always, I love your post.

May 6, 2012 at 10:51 pm

Oh its very much not my best look, truthfully! Sometimes you like a pattern more than it likes you!

Danielle said:
    May 6, 2012 at 10:50 pm

Several of my store bought dresses do that neck thing, I think it’s because I inherited a slightly ‘humpy’ neck and rounded shoulders (thanks Mum AND Dad!). I hear there are ways to alter patterns around this but I’m not that advanced yet :)

May 6, 2012 at 10:55 pm

I’m started to worry that my style twin may be Mary Todd Lincoln!

Danielle said:
        May 6, 2012 at 11:04 pm

hahaha my posture is similar to hers! but I’d like to think I have better hair :P

mrsmole said:
    May 6, 2012 at 10:54 pm

It seems to look better, less shark-like, when you are standing up, can you get rid of it by pinching out the shoulder seam at the neckline? Or is it a matter of curving the center back neck in with darts on either side or center back seam? If I didn’t do the curved upper back alteration (I will NOT call it a dowager’s hump) since I was 35, my clothes would try and stick out like that too. Seersucker….there has to be something ominous in the name alone….sucker? No matter what, you and the pooch look cool and ready for some picnic action! Who drives the ’56 Chevy?

May 6, 2012 at 10:59 pm

Ok, i will try the darts and go from there. The Chevy was a very lucky coincidence! Great, huh?

Jinx Marlowe said:
    May 6, 2012 at 11:17 pm

And who am I to criticize anyone? I am sitting here in faded black capris, white Daniel Green slippers (it’s a southern thing), white socks, and a tee-shirt. Store-bought all.

May 6, 2012 at 11:48 pm

You didn’t offend, I welcome the help! Comment anytime missy!

elle c said:
    May 6, 2012 at 11:20 pm

I like the dress, but I think the main problem is the lack of color coordination with the darling doxies. Something in a nice darker caramel with perhaps a smidge of black and maybe a bit of cream in the print would be better. I am certain Liesl would agree. That is one of the reasons I have a black and white dog, he goes with everything.

May 6, 2012 at 11:50 pm

Maybe that’s why liesl was my petulant poser! She didn’t feel coordinated!

gingermakes said:
    May 7, 2012 at 12:27 am

Super cute! I love it!

lbrundage said:
    May 7, 2012 at 12:28 am

Actually, Pretty…its kinda cute. That front bodice has aleays been so interesting to me… every time I thumb through the pattern book I stop at this one to ponder it. I love that you sew for your fantasy film/literary life! Why not?

Coco said:
    May 7, 2012 at 2:57 am

I think the dress is adorable on you and you should wear mint more! Ditto on back neckline darts suggestion, I kind of like the high neck in back, so true to style. So does it really matter if it bugs you? Love it…

chicenvelopements said:
    May 7, 2012 at 4:12 am

What can I say…..Another enjoyable post that makes me smile the whole way through! I just love your sense of humor!!!!

Calico Stretch said:
    May 7, 2012 at 8:22 am

Yep I agree with the bunches above, I love the colour on and think the beaus should bring a darned picnic. Not my fave dress for you – wonder what you’ll do with it next? Lovely Liesl doesn’t look convinced, clever wee pup.

May 7, 2012 at 1:50 pm

I think i embarrassed her- she was walking as far apart as possible from me!

Barbara said:
    May 7, 2012 at 8:36 am

Love the color on you..I don’t notice the flaws. Photos are great …Main Street USA… except devoid of people. The crowds must have flocked to the Fair!!

May 7, 2012 at 1:51 pm

You know the Anderson downtown on a sunday afternoon- even the 1 horse has left town!

jadesabre9 said:
        May 7, 2012 at 5:33 pm

I thought the backdrop looked familiar … used to live in Anderson back in the day :)

May 7, 2012 at 5:51 pm

Are you telling me there is life after the elctric city???

Amanda said:
    May 7, 2012 at 8:50 am

I am loving this- you look fierce. The Jaws effect is definitely less noticeable when standing. And could Liesl be any more adorbs?

goodbyevalentino said:
    May 7, 2012 at 11:00 am

I’m not sure what I like best – your photos or the dress! Where are you – on a movie set? As a regular reader of your blog I think the dress suits you perfectly and hope you’ll enjoy wearing it. Please wear it!!

Heather Lou said:
    May 7, 2012 at 1:45 pm

SOOOOOOOOOOOO AWESOME! I love love love this. I’ve been eying that pattern and it so summery and sweet and airy on you. Really into that green seersucker. And your photos/commentary are hilarious and charming as usual.

andreahg said:
    May 7, 2012 at 4:57 pm

I’ve since attempted this in a woven and had the same back neckline issues. In jersey, I made the binding much shorter and it sort of gathers the neck in.

May 7, 2012 at 5:19 pm

I think in the movie poster he is forcibly holding down her neckline I swear it.

themateriallady said:
    May 7, 2012 at 5:14 pm

Oh dear! I have sniggered all the way through this post. Doesn’t everyone sew for their fantasy life? Not always with such good results.
    BRING THE LADY A PICNIC IMMEDIATELY. AND MAKE SURE IT INCLUDES CHAMPAGNE AND DOG BISCUITS.
    Sorry for shouting.

May 7, 2012 at 5:23 pm

Thank you! A picnic and some darts!

jadesabre9 said:
    May 7, 2012 at 5:31 pm

Necklines are constantly doing things they shouldn’t be capable of. I think your dress looks great, especially with your dachshund accessory! :)

lazysubculturalgirl said:
    May 7, 2012 at 7:26 pm

Oh, but this dress is so sweet and so YOU — the neckline thing is hardly noticeable! It’s only when you sit or move a certain way, I think, and most RTW is so poorly made that it does the same annoying thing in back.

I want to sew for my fantasy life too, but I would be in full steampunk regalia. Another day….

May 7, 2012 at 8:35 pm

I almost wore it with my brown doc martens- you would have been proud!

eileensbasement said:
    May 7, 2012 at 11:50 pm

You crack me up! I love the dress . . . that one has been on THE LIST for a while . . .why oh why, in the middle of cute dress sewing season did I decide that I need to tackle an 1890s ball gown? So you see, I make dresses for my fantasy life as well ;)

kbenco said:
    May 8, 2012 at 8:28 am

It looks great on you. Personally, I feel that the overly slim and elongated of figure do not do this dress justice. That , I tell myself,is why I have refused to make one for my 5″9 17 year old ballet dancer daughter.;)
    I am a great fan of this pattern, having 3 dresses from it. I reduced that pesky super wide neckline bias on every version and agree with you about the shoulder pads. I like it best in the softest fabric I used – a LIberty lawn. The more crisp fabrics are not so flattering on me, maybe the neckline will sit more to your satisfaction as the fabric softens with wash and wear.

May 8, 2012 at 10:46 am

Thank you- thats very helpful- I think some neck darts and a narrowing of that bandmight make me more loving toward it.

SewDucky said:
    May 8, 2012 at 8:58 am

Love the color, and this is a pattern in my own stash somewhere. If you don’t like it, then you won’t wear it. Somewhere I’ve seen that without the shoulder pads you’re supposed to slope the shoulder seams in to account for it which may help this dress.

I have shoulders like a line backer. Might be why I never pay attention to that stuff.

May 8, 2012 at 10:47 am

I ended up sloping the shoulders about 2 inches in total- it did do some good.

Ruth said:
    May 9, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Lovely colour on you and really the neckline issues are not that noticeable. Are you the only people who live in your town apart from vintage car owners? It’s a bit creepy not seeing anyone else in the streets. Wear the dress, it’s a super spring time look.

May 9, 2012 at 4:23 pm

On sunday our downtown closes up completely! Gives me great photo frredom!

Leanne T said:
    May 13, 2012 at 6:28 pm

I love your way with words!

kuby2u said:
    June 2, 2012 at 6:16 pm

Your dress is gorgeous! What a fun and happy fabric! I just love it!

Brenda & Roger said:
    June 4, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Sew on! When you’re not busy complaining, of course….

Ruby the Super Dachshund said:
    June 4, 2012 at 1:33 pm

I just love the little dog…….You guys are too cute….ARROOOOOOOO!