A little Stymied.

Posted on Updated on

Yah, that’s me. A little Stymied. I have all of this fabulous new fabric all pre-washed and waiting and I am feeling overwhelmed and underskilled. Yes, 2 emotional crises at once- at least I can say I am finally an overachiever!

When we last left our heroine, a week ago, I was so giddy to sew that I whipped up 2 of my fav ‘go to’ patterns- Vogue 1247 and Simplicity 2059. I love both because you can use any fabric and get a great result. Also, I have this strange vision that the aliens will arrive and make us their meat slaves and we will all have to wear a uniform. If we base it on something we all already have, Vogue 1247 is bound to be chosen! Hopefully not with Ugg boots.

But now onto my dilemma what to make next? Do I bend to the wise peer pressure and sew with a plan? Or continue sewing like I have a rich cultured event attending lifestyle and keep making patterns I’d just like to play with? Ok, let’s have some opinions:

I just came across the coolest version of Vogue 1225- go see Steppenpuppy’s Blog! She made this a little more fun, don’t you think? Is it wrong to copy Homage someone’s make an hour after they post it? Or is that just major flattery? I’m going with flattery! It made me look at this pattern again, too.¬† Maybe I could winterize this one and not make poor Steppenpuppy feel like I’m peeking into her windows! Ok, I’m off to visit the closet of egregious¬† textile hoarding for some fabric fondling and inspiration!

But before I do- let me share that Ms Velosewer has made an announcement about the Pattern Pyramid Pile!

photo credits: pattern review, google images, meadhawg

54 thoughts on “A little Stymied.

Carolyn said:
    October 21, 2012 at 1:52 pm

Everyone keeps telling me that copying is the highest form of flattery so I say go with the homage!

Shams said:
      October 21, 2012 at 2:24 pm

Oh boy, do I relate to the “dithering” aspect of creativity!!! I also love Steppenpuppy’s work. I think it’s fine to give her homage and, maybe, more followers!

October 21, 2012 at 3:00 pm

I feel so pressured by the ton of fabric I bought…but I’m sure I haven’t learned my lesson!

October 21, 2012 at 3:00 pm

I think it’s time!

October 22, 2012 at 12:02 am

You are so right!

Pella said:
    October 21, 2012 at 4:26 pm

Oh, homage at will. Also, my vote goes to sewing w/out a plan. Otherwise its work.

October 21, 2012 at 5:37 pm

I just don’t seem to enjoy planning in the sewing room!

rosyragpatch said:
    October 21, 2012 at 6:41 pm

I still sew things for a life I don’t have but I am getting better – also I have started to wear the special stuff in a dressed down way & I’m ignoring the stares.
    I think it’s great to show someone else’s stuff in your blog sometimes- so flattering.

October 21, 2012 at 7:59 pm

I get so inspired by other peoples makes- not the awful envelopes, don’t you?

rosyragpatch said:
        October 22, 2012 at 7:50 pm

Definitely! Much better to see what real people make and wear.

velosewer said:
    October 21, 2012 at 7:41 pm

I hope you find some inspiration in your fabric stash. Sew what you like because there may be an occassion to wear something that you just enjoyed sewing.
    I’m glad you appreciated the Disney hat effort.

October 21, 2012 at 8:03 pm

I just got home from a Butterick pattern sale- I think i can match fabric to pattern a little better now!

Ruth said:
    October 21, 2012 at 8:06 pm

Well V1247 is next up on my sewing table so let the alien invasion begin!
    Continue to sew in your own inimitable style.

October 22, 2012 at 5:55 pm

got to love 1247- it’s so much fun to sew that silly top?!

BeaJay said:
    October 21, 2012 at 8:48 pm

Homage – definately. And I say go without a plan. I have an intricate plan for each season. It was great fun doing the plans on the PC (Yes – I am that way inclined – geek!!), but not so much fun sewing up.. I keep hearing the siren call of new fabric and patterns and my plan changes in my mind continually – so what the heck – sew what takes your fancy at the time – otherwise as Pella said – is is work.

Loved your Disney posts too.

October 21, 2012 at 11:56 pm

I stooped into hancock to get thread and came out with 10 patterns and 4 pieces of fabric- any germ of a plan has been destroyed!

Amanda said:
    October 21, 2012 at 9:29 pm

Isn’t style stalking the whole purpose of the internet?!
    Steppenpuppy’s frock is totes worthy of a homage!

October 21, 2012 at 11:56 pm

Stalking is the sincerest form of flattery- or so i told Colin Firth….

Cuckoo Chanel said:
    October 21, 2012 at 11:55 pm

Thanks for turning us on to Steppenpuppy. Infinite coolness and inspiration.
    And as for my .02, just play. I’ve been much happier with my recent gut projects than any fall planning I might have done.
    Have sew much fun that you forget my bad pun!
    Hugs!

October 21, 2012 at 11:59 pm

Heehee! How would we not enjoy a blog with such a cool name AND a pirate shirt review??

tigergirl said:
    October 22, 2012 at 4:46 am

Yes, sew with a plan! My plan before last summer hit was to sew up the Tracey Reese dress you pictured – I have the fabric and everything. I wonder if it’ll get made for this summer (that’s just starting)? You see, the plan is really helping me ;)

October 22, 2012 at 5:56 pm

How about if I just narrow it down to ‘I plan to finish something’?

sewbusylizzy said:
    October 22, 2012 at 10:09 am

I try to make plans, I honestly do. Then I find I get all frustrated as I get inspired and that’s not in the plan (funny that) and then I feel guilty about not sticking to the plan and then I lose inspiration to sew entirely… can you see where I am going with this? Yes, plans suck.
    I’m liking that Tracey Reese BTW…

October 22, 2012 at 1:07 pm

I didnt have a good knit, so Im using the other Tracey Reese- here goes!

sewbusylizzy said:
        October 22, 2012 at 7:59 pm

I’m making a Tracey Reese at the moment too – Vogue 1224. Watch this space.

October 22, 2012 at 8:28 pm

That is a cute one! Fabric?

sewbusylizzy said:
        October 23, 2012 at 10:38 am

Some sort of stretchy slippery black/white/blue concoction. I’m just trimmed the seams and then I’m finished. And I used a double needle… it could be the new love of my life… shhh don’t tell ELH.

October 23, 2012 at 11:21 am

Oooh double needle- you reckless thing, you!

sewbusylizzy said:
        October 24, 2012 at 10:41 am

LOL I even double-needled stuff that wasn’t in the instructions because I was giddy with infatuation!

October 24, 2012 at 11:24 am

This is my new feeling about piping- I totally get ya!

sewbusylizzy said:
        October 24, 2012 at 11:26 am

I piped Peony – piping is a sewing myth. It aint’ that hard!

October 24, 2012 at 11:29 am

It just looks so impressive! Like a perfect ice cream cone!

eumoronorio said:
    October 22, 2012 at 1:42 pm

I love that Tracy Reese dress. Make it and give credit where its due! It will all be good. As for a plan or not, just remember sewing is about fun, and if you wear it to the supermarket, oh well! No one has to know you aren’t coming back or going to said “cultural events”!

October 22, 2012 at 5:58 pm

My husband jut talked me into buying a minnie mouse cape- complete with ears and bow- he will probably insist I sew somethign foolish and hit the flea market in it!

eumoronorio said:
        October 23, 2012 at 8:06 pm

You are definitely going to need pictures of that!

October 23, 2012 at 8:56 pm

Oh, it’s fancy!

Gabrielle said:
    October 22, 2012 at 1:46 pm

Sew what you want – enjoy yourself! It’s too too boring sewing with a plan, too much like work!

Kbenco made a lovely version of that Tracy Reese pattern you’ve pictured, btw. I made a version of it too but mine wasn’t lovely boohoo!

October 22, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Oh maybe mine will be a hybrid and be half lovely!

Tia Dia said:
    October 22, 2012 at 4:15 pm

hehe! “overwhelmed and underskilled” yup. That’s how my piles of fabric make me feel. Oh, and guilty, too. Because I really don’t need any more clothes! But that said, you know I’m SWAPing this fall – for the first time ever in my sewing career. Once I get through it, I’ll see if it’s a repeatable exercise. Or, like you said, just plain work. ;)

October 22, 2012 at 4:17 pm

Im watching your plan, it looks doable and fun!

Jenny said:
    October 22, 2012 at 5:01 pm

I love plans! But, I’m also a nerd.
    I say pay all the homage you want! I think most people would be pretty flattered to be copied. As long as you don’t end up in the same dress at the same party. Then you’d have to “take it outside”. . .

October 22, 2012 at 5:59 pm

I love organizing and sorting, but I hate lining up projects- too overwhelming for me!

mrsmole said:
    October 22, 2012 at 7:00 pm
      October 22, 2012 at 7:04 pm

Most definitely!!!

Leila said:
    October 22, 2012 at 7:38 pm

I was feeling uninspired and sorta alone in a corner draped in pretty fabric but nothing I wanted to sew. Oh, wait. I’m still there. I seem to think a plan is going to happen. I blog about it and then I just do whatever. I’m there with you. Sew whatever gets you sewing is my motto. Ooh, gotta jot that down. :)

October 22, 2012 at 7:47 pm

Thats going on a pillow!

Magical Effects of Thinking said:
    October 23, 2012 at 1:49 am

I was working on a dress and then it all fell to hell. Lost my spirit. Went to the most fab fabric store got inspired and stumbled on a blogger who did an awesome job on a Vogue pattern and you bet that’s the one I’m doing. . It was the kick in the pants I needed. Flattery Flattery Flattery. I would be flattered.

October 23, 2012 at 9:07 am

You are so right!

sewbussted said:
    October 23, 2012 at 11:56 am

Whatever you end up doing it will be fun and it will have a very entertaining blog post attached. I would rather read your posts than watch T.V. Now albeit, there’s very little to watch on T.V., but even if there was, your posts provide great entertainment!!!

symondezyn said:
    October 23, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Sewing with a plan is great, but what I’m finding is that now that I’m committed to my plan, I’m being tempted by everything else under the sun!! LOL Which is why, if your wardrobe doesn’t need specific items, then I say by all means, sew to gratify your whims!!

October 23, 2012 at 8:58 pm

Last time I cut out multiple items and tried to plan- I ended up holding pieces and pattern, wrinkling my nose and thinking,’ I wanted this? Really?’

puu said:
    October 23, 2012 at 7:56 pm

if you are an overachiever, at least i am too! i am having that same problem and ALSO trying to deal with a mountainous pile of summer/fall UFOs…

October 23, 2012 at 8:59 pm

It’s October 23rd and I still don’t have a finished pair of pants or a Sew Retro post…..oh, I need ice cream now for therapy.