Swap, Drop and Roll!

Posted on Updated on

Look at her! It’s all her fault! I’ve covered up her eyes to protect her innocence but she has none! This is the face of a sinister fabric enabler!! Who happens to be my best friend. Isn’t that always the way? de1

This creative gal has been involved in 2 fabric based project lines that have ended up sending a lot…no, A LOT of fabulous fabric to little me. When she wants to free herself from the shackles of clutter I reply with a simple ‘GIMME! GIMME!‘ All my sheer frisky blouses? Her cast off remnants! I am blessed and cursed from a stash standpoint. So if you follow this logic it’s also her fault that I have 900 camisoles and tanks- you can’t run about like Kate Moss in sheer tops, can you? But I digress- my friend has moved on to a very distracting project lately! 65143_10151319699716413_1019185382_n

Now that I have placed blame, the next step in fabric rehab is admitting that you have a problem. Ok, I do. I need more room for fabric. So some of my less wise purchases need to go. Enter the Amazing  Kat and Anne with their little plan:swapbutton180

Now I own no ugliness. Just some bad ideas. You can’t buy for you what is other people’s color palettes no matter what Pantone tells you to do! If you’ve ever said, ‘um sure, I could use it, I guess’ you have been the victim of a textile or craft dump. Why would a cosmopolitan gal like I own rickrack otherwise? colonial

So prepare to shop my stash-

Ok, first up is a roll of unknown origin and quantity of a pink flat eyelet trim. It needs a home that will give it a nice project! DSC08449

2nd offering: 1 and a smidge yards of a 45 inch striped spandex print. This was a fabricmart freebie, but it just isn’t my thing, you knows?  Gone!  DSC08447

How about a lovely assortment of chenille rickrack? Stop calling me a hoarder! It was a gift! Look at the models face- dreaming of chenille rickrack paradise and it can be yours too! DSC08450

Ok, this is another fabricmart freebie- I’ve seen myself in a fab retro frock in this, but alas, I know it’s hard to believe- black and white makes me look….pale! It’s 60 inches wide and 2+ yards. Crisp and prewashed- like I like my men! GONE! DSC08457

That picture is awfully glossy- here’s another to entice you-

DSC08454

Are you still not excited? From the land of broken plans I bring you- Simplicity 2030- the cape that never was- I was hoping for a Carrie Bradshaw winter….DSC08463

Now, this is a great piece for sure! I was thinking tropical Gertie, the color is great on me, but the placement of the repeat is just a killer. It’s right down the middle of it’s 45 inch width. 5 yards of a tropical quilty cotton to an adventurous soul!    Gone!  DSC08461

I plan to add to this as I emotionally release other fabrics, notions and patterns thru a series of therapy sessions and other purchases- so if none of this appeals to you- just you wait! Go see the pinterest board of Swappy Specialness and perhaps you will do the Swappy Swish with us!

photo credits: google images, meadhawg. All photos remain property of their original owners.

32 thoughts on “Swap, Drop and Roll!

Anne W said:
    February 2, 2013 at 6:14 pm

I’m liking that black & white. Any idea of the fibre content?

prttynpnk responded:
      February 2, 2013 at 6:28 pm

A poly tafetta something, I believe- the flash added major shininess!

Anne W said:
        February 2, 2013 at 6:32 pm

thanks!

Ruth said:
    February 2, 2013 at 6:45 pm

Oh go on – you made me sew with animal prints – stick my name against the tropical red. I need red in my wardrobe. Very generous offerings. Thank you

prttynpnk responded:
      February 2, 2013 at 6:49 pm

Well, done! I will withdraw its dance card!

Shams said:
    February 2, 2013 at 6:54 pm

I don’t need a thing, but good for you to destash!! Your friend has a cute baby. :)

prttynpnk responded:
      February 2, 2013 at 7:01 pm

Thats my Godbaby Callie, I plan to mentor her in all things gaudy!

deanna said:
        February 2, 2013 at 9:53 pm

You are the headmistress of haute couture!

Calico Stretch said:
    February 2, 2013 at 8:05 pm

And I never knew there was such as thing as chenille rick rack! Cripes!

You are being very very good …. and just think of the room you’re creating for more ‘appropriate’ yardage etc!

Valerie said:
    February 2, 2013 at 8:08 pm

Hmmm I think I could do something with that stripey spandex. How does this work? Does the receiver give you something in return or post her own extra fabric in a pass-it-on?

[...] from Pretty Grievances has lots of pretties to swap – fabric, patterns, and notions. (Chenille rickrack, [...]

Gjeometry said:
    February 2, 2013 at 10:36 pm

I think it’s great you have a friend involved in projects and is willing to give you fabric freebies. I do like the cape action. I like anything that may make me look like a superhero :). How does one play the Swap Your Stash game?

Gjeometry said:
      February 2, 2013 at 10:43 pm

Ok, I found the site and read the directions. I may participate in this, have to skim through and see if there is something I want to part with. I’m a bit of a hoarder (of sewing supplies) so may not be able to find something :).

Gjeometry said:
        February 2, 2013 at 10:44 pm

That I’m actually willing to part with, that is. I know I WILL be able to find stuff though. Lol.

prttynpnk responded:
        February 2, 2013 at 10:45 pm

You brave thing, you!

Gjeometry said:
        February 2, 2013 at 10:47 pm

Thank you. And therapy not needed. Yet.

prttynpnk responded:
        February 2, 2013 at 10:45 pm

Its not easy is it!! They are like your children!

missjoiedevivre said:
    February 2, 2013 at 10:56 pm

Good luck with the swap! I’m quite attached to my stash babies but I might give it a once over and see if anything needs to go the naughty corner.

prttynpnk responded:
      February 2, 2013 at 10:58 pm

Oh I know I will keep more than I foster out!

CGCouture said:
    February 3, 2013 at 1:23 am

Wow, you must have been reading my mind, because the other day I was thinking about messaging you on twitter to see if something like a fabric pyramid would be feasible, but this sounds like a great idea too!

Chris Lucas said:
    February 3, 2013 at 8:03 am

Oh NO… can’t do it… sometimes I don’t even want to sew something with the fabric I’ve got in my stash because then it will be gone LOL. Just this week 8 new additions arrived via courier from Fabric.com and I already love them and they’re happily rolled up all snug with their new friends LOL. Two out and 8 in isn’t too bad for the week… two have ended up in my wardrobe as wearables… pretty happy with that :)

prttynpnk responded:
      February 3, 2013 at 12:38 pm

Its about providing good homes and helping fabric thru the transition from sewingroom to clothing! Aw, we mentor!

Magical Effects of Thinking said:
    February 4, 2013 at 2:40 am

I got stuck on that cute little distraction….awww. You need to buy MORE fabric to make cute little things.

VeraVenus said:
    February 4, 2013 at 9:29 am

My heart is hardened, it’s a resolution thing – for six months stuff can leave my stash but nothing goes in. But I LOVE the expression on the little girls face. I’ll have that please.

prttynpnk responded:
      February 4, 2013 at 11:10 am

She is a cutie- so expressive!

Lynn said:
    February 4, 2013 at 2:35 pm

Oooo! I don’t know what I’d do with it but the pink eyelet tempts me. Would you consider a swap for a pattern? I’m sure I have a few I’d be willing to part with, some not even used. I’ll go through them and post pictures of patterns later today if you’re interested.

Lynn said:
    February 4, 2013 at 3:51 pm

Okay, here are two photos of eight patterns. First photo http://www.flickr.com/photos/strngwoodlndcreature/8444071213/ The See & Sew pattern has never been used. The dress is a size 14. The shirt on the bottom left is a men’s medium. The blouse on the right is a large but it’s very loose, fits more like an extra large.

Second photo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/strngwoodlndcreature/8444071249/ These are all patterns my mother gave me. I think someone else gave them to her because they don’t look like something she would have picked. All are size 18 except for the blouse on the upper left. It’s size 16.

If you want to swap the pink eyelet pick as many as you think would make a fair trade.

prttynpnk responded:
      February 5, 2013 at 12:30 pm

I will email you,Lynn!

Lynn said:
        February 5, 2013 at 10:15 pm

Okay. No pressure. If none of my offerings appeal to you I completely understand. :-)

prttynpnk responded:
        February 5, 2013 at 10:45 pm

Those new look patterns have my attention!!