Wearable Wednesday Rochas

This makes me think of Betty Draper Francis in her ‘heavy’ disguise. Or, old man closet couture. She looks a little like Crispin Glover- do you think? ro1

hmm- I’m not so sure about these exagerated shapes. It takes me back to the 80’s when I would try to work some menswear into my wardrobe to look like Molly Ringwald and it really did not work out well. ro2

Now this goes in a totally different direction…. this doesn’t feel like it belongs, but I like it. Maybe she got lost and doesn’t belong here at all. Is she carrying a mat with her steak knives rolled up in it? Where is security? ro4

Oh, we’re back on Planet ill-fitting Tweed…maybe thats her diploma from the Wendy Ward Modeling school…ro5

I just can’t get a handle on how I feel about these- they clearly cannot be worn by real women- they are hugely out of proportion, but the ideas are good, but…no.ro6

This one is more proportioned but only the epaulets make it different than a sloper.

ro7

Ok, I think I’m done here. This is too confusing. What is the deal with the duvet active wear? Is that her arm or a realy weird ruffle? Oh great, I think I made her angry?! ro8

Is this oddly fitting 60’s wedding dress under the duvet? Is she wearing it with loafers… and backwards? ro9

Weigh in people, I’m still shaking my head on this one.

photo credits: Style.com

67 thoughts on “Wearable Wednesday Rochas

1. Well, I’m awake now. I almost choked on my toast when I saw that duvet whatever it is thing. Man, maybe they were going for the ugliest collection ever. Probably didn’t win, but came in close.
    As always, love your commentary! It’s the best 🙂

2. WTF?!?!?!?!? Satin eiderdowns or old men at the allotment with ancient jackets tied with string. I suppose they’d go well with last weeks road kill collecting pajama wearers…. Perhaps the allotment diggers could provide the veg to go with the squirrel!

3. mrsmole says:

They all could use that delicate snakeskin belt…or another friend to get inside with them…even the back view of the gals walking away was bad. If that last satin job WAS a wedding dress, what groom would want to see that coming down the aisle without a duvet coat to match as they would be leaving for a week long camping trip after the reception and it would be nice for snuggling under in the tent. Tent…did I say tent….oh yes, that first coat doubles as a two-person pup tent too. Drab drab clothes and sad looking models…

4. Oh, I LOVE LOVE LOVE those big circle skirts – especially the red velvet one. Squee! Want one – – or both!! And the rest of it is, um, well…. Gee, and we work so hard for a great fit. If you’re wearing a duvet or something picked up from the menswear section of the thrift shop, I guess fit doesn’t matter much?

5. I agree that most of these outfits have weird proportions. They make the models look very hip-py, I can only imagine (& cringe) thinking how my hips would look.

I do like the wedding dress. I love that dresses with a higher neckline & sleeves are making a comeback.

6. Leigh Ann says:

You’re right. Those are some very large jackets. And those shoes make their feet look funny.

I like the tweed jacket and skirt in picture #2, though. It has a retro 40s feeling that I like. It’s just too big for the model!

7. This is clearly a situation where 1. another investor with too much $$$ to throw out there and 2. the wrong forms were delivered: they ordered rail thin model but received amazon giant women forms instead (sizes are in fashion designer terms, not actual ‘real women’ terms!). Thus, everything came out looking huge, dowdy and unflattering…because they wouldn’t have done that on purpose….right?!

8. The circular skirts are gorgeous – the tweedy jackets I like, up to a point – I don’t mind a bit of oversizing but these are plainly ill fitting, don’t fit in the shoulders or sleeves, what’s with the big pockets?, looks demented. Then on to the satin mess, I am lost for words on that coat thing and if I made the last one, I would bin it! What are they carrying in their wraps do you think? The mind boggles.

9. Reminds me when I used to try on my mother’s clothes when she went to the grocery store (so she wouldn’t catch me) and I’d dream about being grown-up : ) Too big, too ill fitting, too, too, too…even the shoes are ugly. Sigh…

10. Usually the clothes on the models looks unwearable for a curvy population, but in the case of this collection, it looks like it’s the other way around. The whole collection looks like it has fitting issues, and they should never have bought that roll of satin to play with. Fitting issues aside, I’m loving the circle skirt/belted jacket combo, and the velvet skirt/tweed sleeveless jacket. I think I still have a pattern for the jumper with the pocket flaps left over from the 90’s. I think there’s some well-hidden potential in this collection.

11. Rosanne says:

I am confused by the lot of them. Also – what’s with the wierd semi-platform on the loafers? It makes the model’s fee look like they are wearing horse shoes. Bizarre and ugly. Manolos they are NOT and seriously un-covetable. I suppose the collection is avante guarde and I simply do not understand.

12. What is the weird optical confusion that makes a model with a small head and thin shoulders look like her feet are closer to the camera than she is – or that she has giant’s feet? view 1 and 6?
    How Odd.

13. The ‘innovation’ was the pairing of loose with looser but it just didn’t work. Large gathered circle skirts need little tight jackets to make full use of the drama. This is just icky!

14. I am going to go against the tide here and say I love them all. …… Maybe the fact that it is 10 degrees Celsius here and pouring down with rain may have somewhat influenced my tastes this morning!!!!!

15. Jamie Hall says:

Ack….flashback to the “Thomas Heels” (orthaepedic shoes) that I was forced to wear for my whole childhood…(and the clothes–well, there just aren’t words).

• Jamie Hall says:

I KNOW>>>>>I hated those black and white oxfords. . The only time I was in style was during the 6th grade promotion dance (it was a sock-hop!!!!). Plus…They cost a whopping $35 when my parents’ shoes were only 3-4 bucks! I felt guilty not loving them while my parents were paying so much for them (my dad was a school-teacher, and my mom was a sahm, so that was a lot to pay for shoes). I was able to stop wearing them my freshman year (THANK HEAVENS!). Nice to meet someone who commiserates!

16. jadesabre9 says:

Ahahaha, the first one made me think of the They Might Be Giants song, “Particle Man” … this must be Triangle Woman.