Vogue 8901- Do they make Argyle Ducks?

Sometimes I feel a little like Fanny Brice- not for the talent mind you, but for the feeling of ducks among swans.

Image

Sometimes I get so excited about a project and then look on PR and get so inspired by all the versions I see and can’t wait to put mine out there and join the lovely parade and revel in mine and other people creativity. Then there are other times when I look at the only other review on PR and think, ‘Oh, I cannot possibly put my foolishness up next to the only other review posted- they look amazing- like a model in a professional setting with 3 fairygodstylists working on their look and I feel like a sows ear! ‘ Here’s how Vogue sees it: 8901

Well, in for a penny, right? Here we go. I love this pattern. I’ve been wanting to try a maxi dress and this Vogue sucked me in. I chose an argyle rayony business and hand pleated the skirt to make it lay down where I didn’t. The bodice on this is fully lined and is built like a pinafore, the side seams laying over each other and creating a very open armscye. In the interest of science- I reveal this area for you: IMG_2780

It is bra exposurally low, so either add a gusset or throw on a camisole and live with your decisions. I chose camisole, and I’m happy about it. The skirt is lined to the knee- when I cut it out I wasn’t sure how long I’d want the skirt- is too much argyle a bad thing? I was feeling very overwhelmed with all this and am still not sure where one wears such a maxi beast-  another tip of the hat to the fantasy lifestyle I sew for. Well, who isn’t wearing an argyle maxi at the dogpark this season? Exactly. No one of any style would think it odd, now would they?IMG_2765

So tell me in the comments- leave it long? Chop it to the knee? Tea length? The husband votes just at the knee. But he always says that?! I am pondering it here. arg1

So on the whole, I’m quite happy with this, I’m a little embarrassed that I held off finishing it afraid that it wouldn’t stand up next to another’s gorgeous make. I need to keep in mind that if I wanted to look like everyone else, I’d be shopping retail, right? As the self-appointed spokesmodel for bad pattern choices, I need to never hide my light under a bushel, proudly waving my gaudy flag and inspiring other people to let their foolishness run free as God intended.  Sniff, I’d temporarily forgotten my sacred role. I lost sight of the fact that out there somewhere, a sewcialist is rubbing a overthetop animal print between 2 fingers and  thinking doubtful thoughts until she sees her little rubber ‘WQGWAD?’ ** bracelet and feels better about her skills and purpose. It’s important work I do. Sniff, sniff.IMG_2761

**WQGWAD = What Questionable gaudiness Would Anne Do?

photo credits: pattern review, google images, meadhawg. All images remain the property of their original owners.

96 thoughts on “Vogue 8901- Do they make Argyle Ducks?

1. I love the argyle! The length looks great to me, I guess it would depend if it was too hot or uncomfortable to walk in being long. If you were to shorten it, I’d think that a just below knee length would look good.

2. Ali says:

I think your Argle fabric looks much nicer than Vougue’s stripey. I vote leave it long or tea length. It looks great especially with the belt.

3. It looks great. I would take it up to above the ankles and not farther: easier to walk in. Unless of course, you will only wear it about the house.
    You did a very nice job and I hope you have many fun days wearing it 🙂

4. sweary sewer says:

i absolutely love this print! on the one hand, i do agree that i’m not sure wear you might wear a maxi dress, on the other, that much of that fabric looks just brilliant. so i say keep the length and invent appropriate places to go. 🙂

5. I'm in stitches says:

No, you can never get too much argyle. It looks absolutely wonderful and you look most elegant in it. I love the length…but with a caveat; I’ve just made a maxi dress and have discovered that maxi dresses and klutz genes (always blame it on the genes – it was Uncle Clubfoot’s fault etc) don’t go. Especially up stairs. I’m with above the ankles as you’ll keep the lovely fullness of the skirt.

6. Hahaha. Loved this post. Well, in the picture where you don’t have the wind billowing up your skirt and its laying it flat I think it looks great. Leave it as a maxi. Or wear as maxi for rest of summer and chop in time for autumn.

7. mrsmole says:

Remember my bustle post? Leave it long, bustle it up, be the first on your block or in the dog park to make this the next “Have to have it” trend. Argyle was meant to make a statement…you can’t ignore it…it is bold, it is wacky…it is YOU! Love the belt and pleating…like someone else said…so modern….watch out Project Runway!

8. I love this. I mean really love it. I may just have to make a maxi dress because of you.

The argyle isn’t too much at all. I think it has a slimming effect. Where can I get me some of that?

Please don’t shorten it, it is lovely the way it is.I agree with sweary sewer and invent places to go.

• I was surprised how it made me look less hippy than usual- hooray for argyle columns! Hancock fabric provided the rayon- it may be the last thing I got there before they went Fleece Forever….

9. Look at the “pondering” photo. That is a lovely dress! Long or short? Can you walk comfortably in the long dress (possibly lifting it in a lady-like fashion to go up stairs and such)? Then leave it long. If not, shorten it. Either way, you’ll knock ’em dead!

10. Béa says:

I am loving the Questionable Gaudiness, and WQGWAD is now going to be my new mantra.

If it were me, I’d probably go tea-length, assuming tea-length is what I think it is. What I *think* it is, is mid calf length.

11. Leigh Ann says:

I’m kind of on the fence about this one. It’s so beautiful as it is; it seems a shame to shorten it. But would you wear it more often if it were shorter? Because it’s too pretty to not wear often. I do LOVE that print, by the way. It looks fantastic on that dress.

• I’m trying to get past my “I’m in a long dress, I must be dressed up’ mindset and just wear it like any other frock. Cuz I love it and want to wear the heck out of it!!!

12. I kind of agree with your husband. I think that the dress is slightly overpowering and would look much better at the knee. I love the print and the cut though. The dress is full of personality.

Never be afraid to be a little “foolish”. Where would the world be if no one ever experimented? I hate it when people follow trends, or “Good Taste” so closely that they lose sight of who they are. How will we ever know what truly works for us if we follow other people’s rules? I geuss we’d be “shopping retail” 😉

13. I love it and would probably leave it long, and like someone else said invent places to wear it. You can always chop it off short in the future and give it a new life but for now i think it looks good and it will be fun to wear.

14. Shar says:

I love it as is – please, please leave it long! The argyle print really works here and the red belt is a great accent. Before I sewed, I pretty much wore black, gray, and ivory. I find the longer I sew, the more adventurous I get with my prints and styles. Another thought – you won’t need to shave or worry about a tan with a maxi :).

15. Well, as somebody who just finished a swimsuit in giraffe and zebra print amongst a sea of delicate cherries, pretty flowers and other such feminine and tasteful sunbathers, I am ALL for fun fabrics. I think your dress is lovely. I may vote for tea length, but still long, knee length will not do it justice.

16. I think it looks fine just as it is! And I totally love the print and am hoping you bought it recently and remember where it came from so that I can find some for myself. I’ve got just the thing for it…

17. Like the print and I would go for tea length, the shorter length I think would show off the pleating on the waist more. I also think it will get more wear – notwithstanding your bohemian lifestyle!

18. I’m surprised your hubby didn’t say mid thigh! Show off the legs! (I’m pro knee length generally; tea length for formal dresses; never maxi long as I’m a shorty pants). Having said all that: the maxi length looks great on you and oh, the sewing world is a hugely better place with your argyle & animal prints.

19. I like it long! I like to think of you sweeping around in it, no compromise!
    Regarding model gorgeousness in Pr and the blogworld – they, poor things, probably can’t help it but its the imperfect people who manage to look gorgeous anyway who get my vote.

20. Nessa says:

I love it! At first I thought cut it to just below the knee to get more wear out of it, but now that I’ve looked at it a bit longer I would leave it long for the pure drama of it.
    In the UK we have had our first set of consecutive summer days in years and I’ve seen women cracking out the sleeveless maxis just to go to the supermarket/groceries! Wear it wherever you like and be your fabulous gaudy self, live the dream I say!

21. You my darling are a peacock among pigeons – not a duck among swans. As for the length – you can certainly carry it off – but if you feel like you are encompassed in argyle go for the knee length and make a cami out of the left over. I love it and think it says – I know who I am – who the hell are you!

22. FabricKate says:

I really like this dress now you have made it up. The fabric is really nice and the colours flatter you.

I would go with the knee length. I think it is just a bit too flared for floor length – making any wearer look wider than they should. At the knee it would actually lengthen the legs.

As a knee length it looks a bit 50s and with a wide belt in the rust colour, or any of the others in the print I think it would create a strong and attractive look.

23. Great dress and love the print. Not too much argyle at all. I for one can’t abide wearing the maxi length. I find it hot and restrictive, full stop. But I’m thinking at knee length the bodice and the skirt might be roughly equal in proportion, which may not be the most flattering. So if you were shortening it, my vote would be for longish and below the knee.

24. Wear it a few times before you do anything drastic. (At least drastic to the dress- feel free to be drastic in any other sphere). Maxi takes a little getting used to but once you do I can almost guarantee you will be dredging the stash for another!

25. I like yours better than Vogue’s prison stripe version. I would leave it long.

Where would I wear it? Probably to Walmart and then for the next three days I would obsessively check to see if I had made it onto PeopleOfWalmart.com. Just kidding – it looks great. Be proud of your unique personal style and wear it anywhere you want to.

26. yikes could that Vogue model be even more Photoshopped?? She looks like a sci-fic REPLICANT rather than a real person. YOU, on the other hand, took a tricky pattern design, chose a great fabric for the design and then…after you hard work…had some photo’s snapper.Hugs for Reality!

MY vote? I would have you hack off about 4 inches on this obvious summer float dress — machine hem it up and have it as one of those wonderful summer dresses that are longish, but not a formal length.

27. I love the way this turned out! Another vote for “just above the ankles” here, but I’m always tripping on long skirts. As for where to wear it? The questions is, rather, where *not* to wear it? You wear it everywhere! Groceries, walking the doggies, the movies, buying flowers, the opera…

28. I recently discovered your blog. To my delight I found another like-minded gaudy sewist! Because of your bravery more of us can feel free to express our inner Mimi Bobeck. Love this dress too. It’s much better than Vogue’s version. I would take it to tea length just to avoid the tripping hazard because I’m clumsy.

29. Okay, this is perhaps a compromise. could you take it a little higher in front but left long in back? Another one worried about tripping up.
    I’d worry about the bottom getting dirty. But perhaps the length of grass is what makes it look like it is floor length? If you aren’t shortening it, am not sure I would go above ankle though. Somehow the proportions wouldn’t work.
    the red belt is great with it! Have you enough scraps to make faux camisole like fillers for the armscye?
    Sandy in the UK

• I was sinking into the grass very much indeed! It is floor dragging without hoofcovers, so it definitely needs a little lopping off! Im not totally onboard with the high low hem- got to ponder this…

30. The skirt is too full for muck about the dog park. (At least it looks that way in the one full length shot). And the argyle is to strong for a more formal look. I say shorten it. If you can afford the fabric loss, cut it at ankle length and try it on. If it still isn’t singing to you, cut it a calf length and try it on. Keep going till you like it. Personally, I think knee length would be nice. And there seems to be enough fullness you could try it with a crinoline for a Audrey Hepburn kinda look. 2 dresses in one.

31. I vote leave it long, it looks great, and everyone needs a maxi or three for dogpark or anywhere really. (I have just stumbled round spiral staircases and ramparts of a french chateau in a maxi, nobody laughed out loud, honestly)

32. I love this! I love this! I love this! Should I say it again? Leave it JUST like it is… I thought “argyle?” when I saw the title… then I scrolled slowly down… saw the lovely stripes… got a peek of yours and fell in love with it. And I like it LONG.. The pleats are great… the length is great… you look fab… OK. OK. I will stop gushing but I just wanna run out and buy that pattern and then snag me some argyle too! ~Laurie

33. Joni says:

If you get tired of it as a maxi, cut it off as a tunic and wear it with leggings. It would look gorgeous that way too! Love the argyle!

34. nishi says:

Hurray you went for maxi! This dress rocks! I think you look much more awesome than the model in it and your fabric is a million times better! Oddly enough, I just bought my first Vogue pattern today…

Love your blog (great name! I’ve always loved Psychedelic Furs!) and the Bowie Sewalong sounds AMAZING!

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w