A dandy new coat pattern has popped up on the horizon! Lolita has done it again with another very girlish design. I was asked to do a testing and I am smitten. A quite smitten kitten.
Now, I don’t usually need a heavy coat- yes it snows here once every 3 years, but really, a girl like I does not traditionally need to face the elements. The driver always brings me right up to the portico, don’t you know.
But this pattern was definitely for me! So I used a light weight suiting material to give it a fab dramatic office entrance flair. This turned out to be a very good choice for me- it meant no major sizing adjustments were needed to accomodate major winter wear sleeves under it and I still had enough ease for all of the day to day work issues I face.
This pattern features a single bound buttonhole that cinches the waist and creates a lovely waterfall effect with the collar.
This was my first bound buttonhole and part of why I wanted to make this- even a tunic gal needs to add new skills to the hamper, you know? I was so proud of my buttonhole that I even put it on facebook. The majority of it’s viewers being nonsewists. They were polite, but I could sense that they didn’t know that for me, this was like splitting the atom in the garage.
Foolish mortals!!! My Father appreciated the grainy phone pic I showed him- thank you, Father! As my first one, it’s a little bumpy, the chiffon shows a bit, but over all, the ratio of cursing/finished product was acceptable! In the final version of the pattern, the buttonhole has been moved in a smidge- with all those layers it was getting tres puffy!
The husband thought a deep view into the pocket would be an excellent selling feature. So I removed my yoyo and gummy bears for you.
I can see this coat in so many ways! In fact, I have this week- so much gorgeous fabric has been twirling about in this- you must go see the Lolita website and while you are buying that girly 3-pack of Amitys patterns, check out the makes- they are all head turners!
My only major hurdle was the lining attachment, The sleeve portion was great- very well explained and I got it! MY lining hem just never seemed to lay right. It was total turn and flip and no hand sewing. It didn’t lay so well- maybe the fabric being thinner didn’t give it the weight it needed to hold it down, so I fudged on it, but, intrepid sewists- please do try, it sounds like a ginchy way to go with it!
photo credits: meadhawg, Lolita patterns, google images. All images remain the property of their original owners.