Victory Hazel- Finally!

Are you familiar with people being color types? A little birdy has shared with me that I am a type 2. I’ve previously associated it with sherbetty marshmallow Easter shades and been most hesitant to dip my toe into it. I’ve been matching my tones to the dachshunds and this would change everything!

doris

But this wise person keeps hinting and gently helping with boards and ideas and it’s feeling less peep, more Anne everyday. Hmmm…..

beads

So this dress has two people to thank actually- a Mole and a Father. Yes, my Father picked out the pattern while I was on a cutting spree at his house (The Hodge Podge Lodge) I’d married 2 fabrics and had too many ideas. Hah! See it isn’t a solid!

vic10

He liked the Victory Hazel best. Honestly, he’s always had my back with style choices. Ma was more vibrant in  her color choice and wished I’d wear less brown. Father has my number when it comes to what I like- he’s always been very good at buying what he knows you’d like- not what you NEED. I am blessed to have always had his nurturing soul around me. But enough about him- it’s my blog- you all came to bask in MY loveliness! HE can get his own blog about coffee, playing sky rim and loving plaid flannel.

1004

So this pattern- it’s easy, it’s girly, it’s lovely. I wish it had gotten done alot sooner, for two reasons. One being that maybe if I’d done it a few years ago, my bosom would have been nearer to where the Victory models is and my darts wouldn’t have needed so much adjustment. Point two is better-  gracious, I got some love at work for this one. More often people marvel at the fact of making my own clothes than being inspired or loving them. Not every prophet is appreciated in their own breakroom, you know? Sigh…..

The first time  wore this, the husband had an early meeting an didn’t see me until after work. His only comment was- you look like Nicole Kidman. Uh oh.

kidman2

I can translate. He wasn’t thinking of the amazing oscar-worthy goddess in BMX Bandits-

kid3

No, he meant that I was matching my clothes to my alabaster limbs.

kidman1

Well, I waved that foolishness away- I looked fabulous! I still think the color is good- unless you are in bright sunlight and have minimal camera skills!

v11

I’m wearing pale rose opaque tights by the way. I was thrilled with how well they matched!

vict 3

It’s quite windy out today, I had to keep rotating pillars to stay in some shelter and deal with how bright it was- but no matter- you cannot make me sad in this dress, uncooperative weather- I love this one.

vic5

If I could fall in love with another perfect set of fabrics, I’d make a shorter sleeved version. I found a rose filter on picmonkey: vict2

Check out my dachshund bracelet from Aunt Magee-

vic6

Do you think my highschool would let me replace my senior pic with this one? I really like my hair better now.

Anne Frances Hodges, class of 1988.

Quote:

Curiosity is insubordination in it’s purest form.  Vladimir Nabakov

Go Tigers!

vict7

The more I look at it, the more I think the naked babies are up to shenanigans. I may have found the only Lord Of the Flies toile! Look at how giddy they are about the one sinking into the quicksand below my breastal area. Scary!

vic11

photo credits: pinterest, pattern review, little me. All images remain the property of the orginal owners.

79 thoughts on “Victory Hazel- Finally!

1. You do really suit that dress and those colours, very lovely. Pink is one of my favourite colours.
    I love Doris Day, and those poodles, and especially those Sunday afternoon films with Rock Hudson, I’m thinking Pillow Talk….so sweet!

2. mylanaieyeview says:

It’s def your color. And that first pic of you showing the bracelet is marvelous. For a portrait style it’s the perfect angle

3. ryan says:

YES! love it! The colours are just so right on you! You are wearing the dress not the other way round! Go forth and concour!

4. I love this. You’re luminescent. The colours + print (rose Lord of the Flies makes me joyful in a way that Lord of the Flies generally doesn’t) married to the Hazel + YOU = another great make. I really like the Hazel (even though I know it would look terrible on me), so I’m always pleased to see it in the wild.

5. Somebody’s got her style on…big time!! Love this on you – and the color combination is spot on! I know you love you some quirky combos…but I think this is my fav dress I’ve seen you in! The style is perfect – fits and flatters so well (and gosh, don’t we all look for that elusive combo?!). The color let YOU shine!

Well done!!!

6. gilliancrafts says:

Oooooh! That’s so elegant and chic! I like that colour on you. I used to have a top that colour and I liked it on me too – Hmm, maybe I need to track down some pale cool pink fabric myself! (Does that colour have a name?)

7. Rosana says:

This looks fabulous on you. That looser under bustline cut is perfect for your torso. Also the color blocking of the cuffs is a great touch. Make it again. And, might I add, fabulous hair.

8. I love this!! Great toile and the colour has a real elegance to it. I’m currently at work on a Hazel, using reversible fabric! Hope it fits, I didn’t make a muslin. 😫 What colour type is 2? Is this similar to fall, summer etc.?

9. These colors are great on you–they match the contrast level and the dewyness of your skin so well! I paid for a color consultation 3 years ago and it really changes your perspective if you commit to it. I know I just feel mentally better in my colors (and I think the Nicole Kidman comment is right on par! She/or her stylist is masterful at picking shades for her skin and hair and contrast level!)–us pale people with a certain amount of red in our hair suffer a lot at the hands of RTW with all of the deeply cool intense colors out there washing us out.

The Lord of the Flies comment is hilarious. I thought of Hieronymus Bosch when you pointed it out.

10. These colors are great on you–they match the contrast level and the dewyness of your skin so well! I paid for a color consultation 3 years ago and it really changes your perspective if you commit to it. I know I just feel mentally better in my colors (and I think the Nicole Kidman comment is right on par! She/or her stylist is masterful at picking shades for her skin and hair and contrast level!)–us pale people with a certain amount of red in our hair suffer a lot at the hands of RTW with all of the deeply cool intense colors out there washing us out.

11. Beautiful! That is a great color on you.

Personally, I’m a color rebel. I wear whatever pretty thing catches my eye and makes me happy whether it’s “my colors” (whatever those are) or not.

12. susan snow says:

This is a great pattern to showcase a small piece of fabric for the top part and then coordinate something plain on the bottom.You know those times when you fall in love with something very expensive and only afford a yard? Might even be a way to showcase a large silk scarf that doesn’t get worn but could be cut up to make a great top half. Lots of possibilities here. Sometimes colours that we have never tried can be a refreshing change. I’m 58 and have only discovered that turquoise looks really nice on me (I also have alabaster skin). Love your column.

13. The style is not one I would ever go for personally…or the colour…but it’s very cute on you. Mind you, having said that, I’m still not convinced that you are a pink/peach sort of gal, it seems too..er..safe. I like you in crazy! Speaking of which, take a look at this little lot, maybe for a Wednesday slot? http://www.hintmag.com/post/marc-jacobs-fall-2016–february-19-2016-1354#at_pco=smlre-1.0&at_si=56ddcf5c3d1696e3&at_ab=per-2&at_pos=2&at_tot=5

14. I do like this colour on you. It is a light-warm shade, and you generally favour warmer colours (with a yellow undertone) so this shade is consistent with what you wear all the time. Your skin is very light – like Nicole – so this is pretty on you. I like the style too. Great job (even if it is the conservative side).

15. ellegeemakes says:

Love your dress. That’s a great pattern that I’ve never noticed before. Bothfabrics are perfect (naked babies and all) for that dress and for your skin tone too. The Nicole Kidman compliment from the husband? That man’s a keeper 😉

16. Victory indeed! Sorry I’m late to the comment party, don’t know what happened there – but a coveting combination of fabrics and colour to suit you perfectly. What’s worse, cherubs or JFK on the bosom? I think you got the better deal!

17. Kathy says:

Oh, my gosh, you are the Wittiest Woman on the Web! Your sense of humor is utterly hilarious. So many times I’ve found myself nearly crying with laughter over something you’ve written. What a wonderfully wry view of the world you have. I so wish you lived in my zip code! 🙂
    Kathy

18. Sorry I’m late to comment on the talent here, but goodness, it looks so fun to change things up and go with the unexpected sometimes! Grrrrreat job – it’s wonderful on you! I feel how lucky you are…I too have a dad (and hubby) that can come up with some awesome sewing ideas for me, too. And that bracelet – your dachsie fandom is showing!