I dreamed I was abducted by aliens in Simplicity 8125

Burda2Remember me? I used to blog! Ok, well, I’d like to tell you a fancy tale about pirates, ninjas and a ring of Beanie Baby knock off smugglers and an international chase with cable cars, but……..I got nothing. Honestly, I just got lazy. Once I got out of the habit of taking pictures after each first wear- it snowballed and I just never got back to it! But alas, I’ve missed the adoration of the masses, the community, the feeling of kinship with other people who don’t just stare blankly when I rhapsodize over my joy at self- facings. Burda3

So here I am! Back in the yard while Mr B is off at Beer Club. It’s a thing. What separates it from alcoholism is the bumper sticker. It’s Mead night. I think that involves horned helmets and lots of braided beards. I’ve politely declined my breastplate opportunity.

Burda7

By the by- this is the exact face I made during gym class. Bewildered and not sure where the ball was. We have a new (to us) Pup-pup. Please met Jas-mini! She is our rescue dog- we found a black and Tan Dapple Dachsie at the local Petsmart/Humane society event and as they say in the war movies- NEVER LEAVE A MAN BEHIND! So. Lets get this party started. Mini is a fetching machine and this dress looks lovely in motion. I know this because everytime I walked to the cafeteria in it, I got compliments. It gently swirled about me as I bent into the ice cream cooler. can I get some love for my excellent match of shoe and textile? I mean really!

So Mini will fetch while I toss the yellow bone and tell you about my stellar work on this Franken-pattern. We proceed.

8125

I’ve had simplicity 8125 for a very long time. It’s OOP and hasn’t gotten much love on Pattern review. One review in a pretty floral. I chose the longest version with the little flippy awning sleeves. But I have issues. That seam down the front- can I be saved from that? How about that back seam? You know I’m no fan of the back seam- if I can weasel in without a zip- I am weaselin’! So I trotted to the vault where good fabric waits for bad ideas. I found 2 lovely challis prints that Fabricmart made me buy and when I held them up together for Mr B- he plotzed. I assured him- or tried to that it was a great idea! He was beyond uncertain. Normally that would make me pause and question, but I WANTED THIS!!!! So Bruder and I retreated to the sewingroom to shake our little fists and rue stuff.

Oh! Do you know what this needs???? A overskirt! So I stole the overskirt piece from Burda 6944 – a pattern I bought when the Hancock fabric was closing and I was on a spree. I think I saved enough of the original concept to make the top half almost recognizable- almost? Sort of? IMG_1380 (1)

Once I was in square handkerchief frenzy- I decided to add a triangle of the contrast fabric to the center of each sleeve awning. By the way, pattern placement failed me. I liked to see the little birds, but I kept seeing one out of the corner of my eye and the white splash was jarring. I’m easily distracted.

Once I got this all together, we had a cold snap. Seriously. A cold snap in SC. So this stayed on Ms Holloway the dress form for a week or two and I felt like it was calling out- ‘Hey! I’m not busy enough!’ so I added some copper-toned bits of business to satisfy my inner crow. Finally the weather cleared up and we are back to the 1 hour of spring we get every year before it turns to a back fat blistering southern hell. Action shot- I’m moving so fast, everything but Bruder is a blur!

Burda5

Mini? May I ask why you are refuses to get into camera range? You aren’t Garbo you little snot- get back over here and be cute so one of us is coo-worthy! Burda4

Min-Min, come here, precious! Bring the drool soaked yellow bone to Mama! Come here pretty girl! Go get her Bruder! Ok, just lay down.

Burda6

Why do I try to organize you beasties?! I swear- none of you are earning the kibble!

Burda1

photo credits: little me, Pattern Review

81 thoughts on “I dreamed I was abducted by aliens in Simplicity 8125

1. Jessica Walker says:

Oh hi! Welcome back! I always love Wearable Wednesday but it’s great to see your new dress. 👍🏻 On the fabric pairing.

2. Emily says:

I love the way you distributed the two types of fabric for a balanced composition. Good thing you went with your instincts and did this! The tiny bit of darker blue (hidden breast plate?) works as a subtle punctuation.

3. Katrina says:

If your fabric pairing can make a man plotz, you’ve got a winner! Love everything about this! I am always drawn to this kind of neckline/waistline arrangement, but as the lady says, I like to wear my boobs down around my waist, and I usually find that the seam rides up very uncomfortably. Did you have to make any adjustment to the pattern?

P.s. Kudos for the rescuing of dogs!!!

• Let me tell you about Jas-mini. The humane society lady said that she was pedigreed and the owners took her to the shelter because she was paralyzed. Seriously. Well, she was fostered and after crate rest and steroids- she is as you see- a force to be teckoned with!
      I didn’t do any alterations but my usual- narrow shoulder adjustment. It’s an easy fit.

• Katrina says:

Yes, that is possibly the least-paralyzed dog in history. Do not get me started on owners of dogs who decide to get rid of them because of X, Y or Z. Thank you for sharing the happy rescue story! And the pattern suggestion!

4. Denise Chichester says:

Welcome back!! I also bought the bird fabric and absolutely love it – I wish I had your creative mind. All I managed with it is a pleated-neck shell style top, but your dress is so awesome! Love the combo of fabrics!

5. Connie Turner says:

I love this dress, so pretty. The two fabrics work very well together and I love your embellishments. I knew if I waited long enough you would post again! Love those cute pups.

6. Yay, it’s you and not an array of vaguely-awake models wearing g*d knows what! 😉 (Not hating–I love those posts but miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiissed you.)

Love the Dress of Many Skirts, the dog, the tribute to your inner crow, and the idea of you getting an honorary breastplate for literally any/no reason. You ought to reconsider that refusal, IMO…

7. Betsy from Pike says:

So glad to see your post. I’ve missed you, both your humor and your sewing. We are built much the same, so your posts are both entertaining and inspirational. Hope your blogging mojo and sewing are here to stay.

8. Wild applause! I’m so glad you’re back. I too, have disappeared because for some mad reason I think my district needs a State Representative that can sew. (But I am working on a costume for a film, even though the timing is the WORST). XOXO to you and your cutie babies!!!

9. snewth says:

I haven’t read you blog before, but every word brought a smile to my face so I will be back. Oh and then the sewing !!

10. Brenda says:

Sooooo happy your are back!! I was laughing through the whole post. I’ve missed you. Love the top. You are fabulous. (the dogs are cute too)

11. So. So. Good. To have a post from you again. Love your work. And all that research for wearable Wednesday’s has not taken away your awesome style and eye for print matching and pattern hacking. Plus your dogs are the best.

12. I only know you as the weekly runway show. How pleasant to meet the force behind the scenes. I adore this dress on you and I’m still trying to figure out how you got from the simplicity to adding the burda. Awesome look.

13. When I recently recommended your marvellous blog to my ten loyal followers I know they would have to rely on the back catologue for the belly laughs. But you go and produce new material! A series two! Of Gaudy and Doggy!! I was so thrilled! Bruder wasn’t the only drooler. Love how you have done that handkerchief overskirt and the layered sleeves to get the maximum fizz out of the two fabrics. Love the high waist and the 1920s vibe.

14. Hey!!! Kitty and I are so excited you adopted a resue pup!!!! 😊🐶 I’m sure you are a match made in heaven. A bit camera-shy she is. I think you did a great job of adding your own flair to this pattern. I like the overskirt and fluttery sleeve piece. Looks lovely on you. As for the pattern, I wonder why the centre placket doesn’t go around to the back of the neck? Maybe they figured everybody wearing this would have long hair? 😁

• Ok, ok,ok! That has seriously bothered me- but I didn’t realize it until I was done. In a contrast print it’s a bit jarring. Especially with my sloping shoulders. I may have to haul it back into the garage and make a facade-facing!

• Honestly, I bet nobody except other sewists would notice it. We critique patterns so…. It’s an odd design choice though. Just because it’s a V, plaquet style neckine doesn’t mean there’s also not a back of neck neckline. Ya know? *shrugs*

15. gail Katz says:

Hey there Girl!!! Welcome back. I haven’t been seeing in ages. I hope I can follow in your footsteps…and start seeing this Fall!

16. This dress is perfection…shape and color blocking and those cool sleeves! No wonder the compliments are flowing! So good to see you back with custom fashion to inspire the rest of us drooling over the Anthropologie catalog…you went one step better! Anne is back…HOORAY!

• Just looking at the top layer and the drag lines, if you make it again, the top edge of the skirt where it joins the bodice could use an inch or two more fabric and graduate to nothing at the side seams. That will allow the skirt to drop a little and not really change the overall appearance. If the underneath skirt does the same thing, then add a little to that layer as well. You inspired me to buy both patterns!

17. Oh how I’ve missed you, and it’s so nice to see you back for your adoring fans. I was going to admire the dress first but then I had to give all the love to your little rescue pup. You have really made that dress your own, and I suspect that Jas-mini has made you her own!

18. I haven’t sewn for about five years, and not read much about it either, but have never deleted a blogger I enjoy from my feedly. You are the reason I own the Cynthia Rowley 1939 pattern and it’s still very high on my list of things I will sew once I get back to it.

19. Beth (SunnyGal Studio) says:

you have not missed a step during your hiatus – from the prose to the fabric pairing, returning in rare form! so happy to read any post by you.

20. Agnes Cleary says:

So glad you’re back! I can’t decide which I love more, your fabric or your writing! Thanks for the most fun you can have without spending money!

21. 4 days late, but finally here for the laughs and the puppers. 🙂 I literally LOL’d at the dog caption of being afraid of falling into your cleavage. 🤣 So glad to see you sewing again!

22. Boom! It’s great to have your sassy self back in front of the camera 😀 I love how ninja the bird print is – at first I thought it was a fab geometric number and then KAPOW – it’s birds everywhere!

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w